Louisville in Autumn
St. James Court
The "Pink Palace"
Located at the corner of St. James and Belgravia Courts, the Pink Palace, built in 1891, was not originally a home, but an exclusive Gentleman's Club and Casino for the residents of the Court.
The Pink Palace got its name in the 1920s when it was painted this color by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, its owner at the time.
Its current owner has of late stirred a bit of controversy when he decided to repaint the building a very bright pink with lavender trim. The work only just began when a stop-work order was issued, and now the owner, landmarks commission and neighbors are negotiating a "suitable pink" for the building.
Click here to see the "prior" pink
Previous Picture Next Picture
2nd Street Thumbnails
3rd Street Thumbnails
Belgravia & 4th Street Thumbnails
St. James Court and Central Park Thumbnails
More on St James Court and the St. James Art Fair
Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville Business Directory,
Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,
Calendar of Events,
Corner, St James Court,
Court, St. James Art Show,
Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks,
Old Louisville, the Way it Was,
(there are now over 1300 web
pages on OldLouisville.com)