From the Old Louisville Information Center building in Central Park, exit west onto Magnolia Avenue. Proceed to the Seventh Street intersection, then turn north onto Seventh Street. Continue north to the Zane Street intersection. See area map.
|Seventh Street was named Military Road during the Civil War,
because the Union Army had several installations in the Limerick area. Built about 1830,
it was originally named Oakland Turnpike and was a privately-owned toll road.
The drive-through tour begins at Seventh and Zane Streets. Continue north on Seventh Street to the York Street intersection.
|1||Seventh Street and Zane Street
In the 1800's, Charles A. Deppen had his marble works on the northeast corner of Zane where a grocery had previously been located.
|2||1025 S. 7th Street (1893)
George Wilkes, Railroad Engineer
This 2 ½ story duplex has Eastlake porches and fleur-de-lis motifs.
|3.||1024 S. 7th Street (1892)
George C. Cook, Church janitor
(Manly Center property occupies the area where 1024 once stood.)
|4.||1023 S. 7th Street (1893)
RC. Morrison, L&N Railroad Dispatcher
|5.||1015-1017 S. 7th Street
This style is 1870 camelback shotgun. 1015 was built in 1888 for Mary Dugan, a widow.
1018 S. 7th
College Court (corner of 7th & Kentucky Streets)
One of the first public housing rental properties in the nation, and
the first in Louisville, it has been converted into owner-occupied condominiums for former
public housing residents.
945-933 S. 7th Street
Built in 1890, these seven identical shotgun/camelback brick cottages
have common walls and Eastlake entries. Joseph C. Hemingray, a lawyer, lived in 945.
Caroline M. Roath lived in 937.
|Turn east onto York Street for one
block, then south onto Sixth Street. Continue to Oak Street.
6th Street (1888)
Known as the Seelbach-Parrish House, this was built by hotel owner,
Louis Seelbach. This structure's architecture influenced the designs of other buildings in
the same block. The entry is located within a semi-circular keyhole-like opening. Mr.
Seelbach's hotel, located in downtown Louisville, at 500 Fourth Avenue, thrives today.
Charles Henry Parrish, Sr., purchased the residence in 1919 and lived there until 1969. He
was the University of Louisville's first African- American professor and department head.
6th Street and Kentucky Street (1873)
Renaissance Revival "The Schoolhouse," now an advertising
firm, was built for $23,000. Originally Central Colored School, it later became a public
school for white students and was renamed Mary D. Hill School, after a pioneer organizer
1028 S. 6th
This two-story, red brick town house has painted stone lintels and
sills, with an extended cornice underscored by brackets. Notice the interesting
landscaping it shares with its neighbor.
|12.||St. Louis Bertrand Church (1104
S. 6th Street)
The Dominican Order established a priory
at this location in 1866. The Gothic Revival style church was built between 1869 and 1872
at a cost of $100,000. Three buildings constitute the complex. Community life has been
centered around the church since its establishment.
1117-1125 S. 6th Street
These camelback "shotguns" were built between 1885 and 1889 and were owned by clerks, plumbers and traders.
|At the Oak Street intersection, turn
east onto Oak Street for one block. Turn north onto Garvin Place for one block, then west
onto St. Catherine Street for two blocks.
500-600 blocks of St. Catherine
Enjoy the ambience, where several famous Old Louisville architects
built their homes. Among them were Kenneth McDonald (514), L. Pike Campbell (517), and
Cornelius A. Curtin (539). Others designed 605, 607 and 609. Note the interesting design
of 529-531, in which one side mirrors the other.
At the Seventh Street intersection, turn north for one block. At Zane Street, turn east for two blocks.
|15.||612 Zane Street (1899)
Julia Pomarantz, widow
This has a gabled bay, with fish scale shingles in the gable, and an Eastlake porch sheltering the entrance.
|16.||611 Zane Street (1890)
William Clark, harness maker
Its rich color is complemented by scalloped shingles, which fill its gable end, and by a rough-hewn stone foundation.
|17.||610 Zane Street
This is an Italianate style built in 1891 by Samuel McKee, Jr., editor of The Louisville Times. The building is ell-shaped, with the primary entrance on the inside of the ell.
|At the intersection of Garvin Place,
turn south onto Garvin Place for one block. (Note: View 1031 on the east side of Garvin
Place as you make the turn from Zane Street.)
|20.||1039 Garvin Place (1892)
One of the first structures built in the block, the total cost of the lot and the house was $6,250.
|The driving tour ends at the
intersection of St.Catherine Street and Garvin Place.
Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville Business Directory,
Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,
Calendar of Events,
Corner, St James Court,
Court, St. James Art Show,
Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks,
Old Louisville, the Way it Was,
(there are now over 1300 web
pages on OldLouisville.com)