Old Louisville Walking Tour
From the Old Louisville Information Center building in Central Park, exit east onto Magnolia Avenue. Turn north onto Second Street and park. See area map.
|The walking tour begins on the west side of Second
Street, north of Magnolia Avenue. From 1374, walk north to Oak Street.
|1.||1374 S. Second
Charles Mendel, V. President, Kentucky Jeans Clothing Co.
The original roofline was above the second story, and a wooden cornice was over a one-story porch. In the 1970's, an owner constructed the brick wall, removed the original front door, and gutted the building to begin renovation. Current owners have completed renovation. The original construction cost was $7,200.
|2.||1360 S. Second
J.H. Sharp, renter, manager of carpet company department
The dwelling was tenant-occupied until 1913. The ornamental carving beneath the eaves adds facade enrichment.
S. Second Street (1893)
|4.||1324 S. Second
John Mivelaz, restaurant owner
Note the unique triple-window repetition on the first, second, and third floors. The design includes two bay windows and a third-floor balcony, with an intricately carved gable. This dwelling was once considered the worst rooming house on the block and was a lucrative bordello before its renovation in 1975. It is now a single-family home.
|5.||1322 S. Second
David H. Wilson, Wilson Eardrum Company
The window in the stairwell is an outstanding feature. A previous owner planted dogwood trees to provide a canopied archway to the front door, reminiscent of Victorian England.
|6||1226 S. Second
Alfred Brandeis, real estate salesman
The entry is recessed behind the round arched opening with stone arches. The outstanding architectural feature is the roofline.
|7.||1222 S. Second
Frederick C. Hays, clothing business
Charles and Emily Davison purchased the house in 1895. She was a prominent opera singer and socialite.
|8.||1210 S. Second
C.C. Mengel, Jr., owner, Mengel Furniture
Note the third-floor, single-story porch, or "widow's walk," and the fleur-de-lis design in the stained glass windows. This design is repeated on fireplace tiles inside the house. The interior woodwork, moldings, and staircase are hand carved, with many elaborate details. This is a four-story, one-family dwelling.
|9.||1208 S. Second
Theophilus Conrad, tanner
The first floor has a butler's pantry and the second floor a linen press. There is a division between the servants' and residents' living quarters, made by separate, ornate stairs and doorways for the residents and plain ones for the servants. The brick sidewalk you are standing on is the only remaining section of the original Second Street sidewalk laid in the 1890's. The French eclectic/ mansard roof is rare in Old Louisville.
|At the Oak Street intersection, cross
over Second Street and walk south along the east side, back to Magnolia Avenue.
|10.||1203 S. Second
Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Admire the rose window that faces Second Street. The Oak Street section was added in 1920. Dismas House is a "halfway house," a correctional facility operated by the Knights of Columbus since 1964.
|11.||1223 S. Second
Shingle Queen Anne
Owen Tyler, part owner, Building Supply Co.
A definitive Shingle Queen Anne, this structure could transport one back to "merry ole England."
|12.||1225 S. Second
Emile Franck, whiskey dealer
Special features are the stained glass transom and the pyramidal roof. Note the sunburst design near the roofline.
|13||1245 S. Second
Aston P. Harcourt, attorney
The arched windows define this building's Romanesque style.
|14.||1251 S. Second
Late 19th Century
Margaret M. Fosdick, renter, widow
The restrained use of stained glass and rustication acknowledges this dwelling's late Victorian heritage.
Second Street (1893)
M.H. Flarsheim, a clerk, lived at 1315. W.P. Lee, a collector, lived at 1317. J. J.. McCombe, with Averitt Tobacco Company, lived at 1319.
|16.||1329 S. Second
Edward Warren, sold wholesale dry goods
The house was converted from a duplex to a single family dwelling in 1977. The kitchen and bathroom floors were recycled from a remodeled high school gym floor. The porch was added in the 1920's.
|17.||1359 S. Second
Philip Winkler, merchant
This structure once contained 11 apartments. Its features are beautiful parquet floors, an original fresco ceiling, a carved mantel agate insert of tiger maple. Each formal room was finished with a different type of wood.
|18.||1363 S. Second
Leonard Comenger, Secretary of Louisville Business College
This structure is typical of the medium-scale dwellings found along First and Second Streets. Featured is a beveled glass window transom, floors inlaid in quartered oak, and fireplaces with "mantel peering glasses," or mirrors. Backyard landscaping includes Victorian period shrubs.
|19.||1367 S. Second
Charles L. Holmes, Vice President, Louisville Tin and Coal
This dwelling has eight original art glass windows and six fireplaces. The house was deeded to Sallie 0. Holmes, wife of C.L. Holmes, "to have and to hold free from control of her husband."
Second Street (1896)
Second Street (1891)
Second Street (1895)
Second Street (1910)
At Magnolia Avenue, turn east. Cross over First Street, then walk north towards Oak Street.
To visit Ouerbacker Court, continue east on Magnolia Avenue,
just past First Street or access Court from First Street.
First Street (1902)
|*||1341 S. First Street (1890)
R.M. Hughes, vinegar manufacturer
The three-story brick and stone residence combines the Second Empire style reflected by a conical roof on a turret, a pair of Gothic Revival windows on the second floor of the turret, a Palladian window in a gable next to the conical roof, a recessed Romanesque window on the second floor beneath the gable, and a circular window with a carved wooden insert.
First Street (1890)
First Street (1895)
|26.||1303 S. First Street (1896)
Shingle Queen Anne
Pierce Butler, engineer
The shingles and roofline make this an identifiable Queen Anne.
|27.||1251 S. First Street (1896)
Late 19th Century
Anne G. Porter
Built originally as rental property, among the early tenants were a bookkeeper, an insurance salesman, and a ladies' tailor. The small glass window to the left of the beveled glass door adds further facade enrichment, as does the marble sidewalk. The hitching post is another interesting feature.
|28.||1237 S. First Street (1889)
Loftus S. Rosenbaum, whiskey business
The entry on the left is set behind a stone arch, which has carved ornamentation. A stone band-course articulates the first and second stories.
|29.||1219 S. First Street (1888)
Hamilton Griswald, Manager, Water Ice Company
The decorative windows emphasize the symmetry in the building's facade.
|At the Oak Street intersection, cross over First
Street, then walk south along the west side of First Street back to Magnolia Avenue.
|30.||1226 S. First
Oscar Doyle, dentist
Features include fish scale shingles, a stone band course on the second story, and a bay with a tower-like appearance.
|31.||1230 S. First
CC. Crader, contractor
The porch has fluted Doric columns which shelter the transomed door on the right. The left bay has an oriel window with incised stone linters and brick corbeling below. The decorative pediments are made of wood.
S. First Street (1884)
S. First Street (1887-1889)
S. First Street (1882-1887)
S. First Street (1913)
S. First Street (1909)
Robert Mansfeld, manufacturer of business fixtures
The house is situated on an unusually large, fully landscaped lot that also includes a driveway and garage. The classic front porch spans the main facade, which is punctuated by oversize double-hung windows, and a pair of etched double doors.
1382 S. First Street (1894)
1396 S. First Street (1901)
|The tour ends at the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and First Street.|
Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville Business Directory,
Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,
Calendar of Events,
Corner, St James Court,
Court, St. James Art Show,
Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks,
Old Louisville, the Way it Was,
(there are now over 1300 web
pages on OldLouisville.com)