"St James Court, Louisville KY"
Entrance to St James Court at 4th and Magnolia
think of the entrance to St. James Court today,
we think of the entrance off
Magnolia across from Central Park.
Not so around 1900, when the entrance was
at Fourth and Magnolia.
picture shows the well known lions that once guarded the
entrance to the
court on their handsome bases, all, alas, now gone.
have been so many rumors circulating around the
neighborhood for years about
the fate of these original lions,
it's hard to separate myth from
fact. We've heard they were stolen,
and/or that they were melted down
for the war effort (WWI).
We've even heard that the recumbent lion
that now rests by the
colonnade in Central Park is one of the original St.
There are also two recumbent lions that remain today on
the green in
St. James Court. In any case, none of the remaining lions
are at all
like this proud advancing pair, with their majestic mains and
James Court was built in the late 1890s on the site of the
Southern Exposition. Today it hosts the region's premier open
art show every fall. In the picture above, we are looking west
from Fourth Street. On the left is St. Paul's Episcopal
Church (now West End Baptist).
On the right is Central Park.
Mid-way down Magnolia on the left is
the present entrance to St. James
view with St Paul's Church
Postcard Views of Louisville
rest of the city)
Downs and the Kentucky Derby
The Old Court
East to West along Broadway
Without extended descriptions:
The Old Post
Office and Customs House
Louisville Guide Home Page
Louisville National Historic District
Old Louisville Business Directory,
Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,
Calendar of Events,
Corner, St James Court,
Court, St. James Art Show,
Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks,
Old Louisville, the Way it Was,
(there are now over 1300 web
pages on OldLouisville.com)
here for a comprehensive search of all 2800+ web pages on this